Friday, September 25, 2020

Alone


Singular things have their own beauty,  but not everything is meant to be the shining star this flower is. It's called a star of Bethlehem,  and it lives up to its name with its understated beauty.  

I have no understated beauty. I'm short, fat, and plain. 

I have no special talents,  unless being willing to push myself to do the work no one else will is considered a talent. 

I have no readily  available friends,  I'm good for leaning on and that's about it.  

I'm not interesting;  I cook, clean, and sometimes get to sample a semblance of a life on the weekend. Maybe....sort of. 

I spend 80% of my time alone. 

That's tough. 
We're social creatures,  not meant to be alone.  And yet, I've found a lesson in solitude.  

Lean on the Lord.  Let him be my best friend,  my confidant,  my guide. 

And it's good. 

We're not all meant to shine, some of us were created to serve. The key is whether we serve with a giving and joyful heart,  or if we decide to serve with bitterness and contempt.  

I will always be a part of the background, always a supporting role in the play that is my life. I've always thought that was pathetic,  taking a backseat in your own life, letting others outshine you. 

It's not pathetic,  it's not weak, it's not wrong.  
It takes just as much strength to do the work as it does to shine, maybe more because no one ever tells us we're doing a good job or that we're needed. No one misses us until we're gone. We just keep doing the job because someone has to do it. 

It's not easy. 
There are times I feel used, underappreciated,  lonesome,  tired, depressed.  
I'm human too you know. 

But I keep going. 
We can't all be stars but we can all shine at what we do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment