It was a Sunday, I had helped serve breakfast at church. That afternoon I couldn't hold down food. Stomach flu.
Tuesday the 3rd rolls around and I'm so exhausted. I get Hubby off to work and find I can't breathe very easy.
I text Hubby, tell him I need to go to the ER when he gets home from work. Mind you I'm in what's called kussmal breathing, I sound like a squeaky chicken and I can barely walk. I haven't even been able to hold down water since Sunday.
Which means no medication either.
One of our pastors texted me, she knew something was wrong, God put a burden on her. Thank God she listened. I texted back to just pray for me. Nope, she had pastor C call me.
It timed out that he was on his break, and when he heard me he told me I was going to the hospital.
Pastor V came to get me, we live a few blocks from a hospital. She took me to that ER. Another intervention by God. If I'd tried to make it to the hospital we usually go to, I would have died. I didn't have the 20 minutes that trip would've taken.
I was in dka (diabetic ketoacidosis). Rare for type 2's but not impossible.
My acid level were extremely high, my sugar was 779, and I had so much gas and fluid in my stomach that it was triple normal size and pushing on my diaphragm (which didn't help the breathing situation).
They had to get my electrolytes up, get fluids in me, get my sugar down. Put a tube in my nose and down my throat to pump my stomach. What came out looked like coffee.
When they scoped me later they said I'd thrown up so much it created bleeding ulcers in my stomach and esophagus.
I was taken by ambulance to the main hospital, spent 3 days in ICU, and another 2 days in a regular room until my levels were well within normal range.
I'm on 2 different insulins right now. Hoping to go off of them, but they say it takes a week of recovery for every day in the hospital. My sugars were in the high 200's when I got home. Last week low 200's, this week high 100's. So it is getting better, as am I.
Every day is better.
I still have a ways to go to rebuild my strength and stamina, but it's okay.
I'll get there.
My body was eating itself, and I nearly died. I think it's okay to take things slow.
God saved my life.
I spent a lot of time in the hospital just trying to be thankful and kind. So many people taking care of me, it's their job, sure...but we all need to feel appreciated and seen. Especially when you're surrounded by people who are sick and suffering and scared.
It's not an easy or thank filled job.
I'm so aware of God's grace and mercy. I'm deserving of death, we all are. Jesus gave His perfect life to save ours. We did nothing to earn that.
Sometimes it's easy to get so wrapped up in this life that we forget there's eternity.
God doesn't owe me eternity, He doesn't owe me life.
I kissed death and God made sure I understand how fragile this life is.
Don't take it for granted.
Don't take Jesus sacrifice for granted.
Don't take God's love for granted.
And don't take people for granted.
They can be gone in a blink.
Be blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment