So, we adopted Finn back in August. He was a stray, abused by his previous owners. Hung around church, and we ended up taking him, getting him fixed and shots. Technically Finn adopted me. He was a lovebug, always slept with me, would get on his back legs and stretch to be held.
December 27th he was across the street, sniffing the neighbors trashcan. Car coming. I thought about calling him but didn't want him to get hit. He darted right out. Died in my arms. So much blood, I didn't notice. Peroxide and warm water, by the way. Afterwards I had to clean the trail through the house. It rained yesterday, finally, and washed away the trail to the house from the road. I still replay it in my mind. Wondering if I'd called him, would he have made it?
Then I remind myself it's a very unproductive thing. I can't change it. So I thank God for the time we had and that we got to give him so much love.
We tried you know, to keep him in. But being a stray and having 3 other boys who go out, he wasn't having it.
We were hoping he'd learn about cars. Watched him barely scrape by chasing a squirrel and knew it was a risk. Apparently cats under 2 years have trouble recognizing that cars move faster than other predators.
My heart is still broken. Understanding doesn't make it any better. I didn't want to see it, I haven't forgotten it, but I'm glad he went in my arms and not alone in the street.
We got Gracie a new harness. It's been tough finding one that is long enough, fits right, and doesn't rub her armpits. Plus it's reflective and high visibility. And a handle! Fuzzy luggage!
When she's in the semi with us it's really handy for helping her up in my lap or into the truck without her coughing and pulling.
Tigger is sitting on Gracie who has her head next to Poe. A cuddle pile!
And as much as I loved Finn, Hiekka needed him gone. I didn't realize how much Finn bullied him until he was gone.
It's been a journey getting Hiekka to come down from upstairs, to cuddle again, to not keep looking under the bed or around the corner. Finn was raised in a drug house with another orange tabby who would play rough. So Finn saw Hiekka, another orange tabby, and decided he wanted to play. Only sneak attacks and constant roughhousing to Hiekka was anxiety inducing.
So yeah. It's been a journey getting him out of high alert.
And we agreed, no more cats until the older boys are gone and no more outdoors. Once our boys are gone any new cat will be trained to stay inside. They can have a catio, but no going out.
And we successfully celebrated 27 years together. Our anniversary was nice, we got to visit friends and road trip. Nothing major as we're still trying to get cars fixed and rebuild our emergency fund (again) and, and, and....
It's all about priorities.
We save a little for a once a month road trip, a little for this, a little for that, a lot for the rest.
Such is life.
We're trying to stay balanced and faithful. It's God's money, His house, His stuff. We're just stewarding it.
We're tight, but He gives us enough to give to others and that's what matters most.
It's not as much as we'd like, but better than nothing.
Hope anyone reading this had a good holiday season, a grand new year, and is doing well.
Later taters
No comments:
Post a Comment